Content Coming Soon
Locust Hill Country Club is a historic Rochester private club and has been a centerpiece of the Rochester community for almost 100 years. Though the club has seen many changes over its long history, it has stayed true to its values of being the perfect place for families and friends to enjoy the game of golf on our renowned golf course and come together as a community. Family, golf, and community are our driving forces, and they have been from the beginning.
In the summer of 1925, thirty of the younger and more progressive business people and professionals of Rochester -- along with the members of the Rochester Gyro Club -- saw a need in their community for a family-friendly golf club.
Together they purchased the "Locust Hill Farm" – eighty-nine acres of farmland on the north side of Jefferson Road in Pittsford. The barn was converted into a Locker House with a fully equipped Pro Shop, bag storage, shower area, locker room, and lounge room where food was served, while the farmhouse was transformed into a clubhouse with 40 lockers on the second floor for female players. The course initially featured an excellent nine-hole golf course.
The club quickly grew to 225 members, and in 1927 the owners purchased 52 additional acres and expanded the course to eighteen holes. Seymour Dunn, a well-respected architect and golf club designer from Scotland who had previously designed The Lake Placid Golf Club, was hired to complete the project. Dunn had golf coursing through his veins. He was a native Scotsman, but he came from a long line of golfers, course architects, and greenskeepers. In fact, his ancestors can be traced back to Mary, Queen of Scots, and the first golf course ever built.
Locust Hill Country Club became the spot for golfing over the next nine years and plans to build a connecting link of clubrooms between the locker house and clubhouse were in motion. However, that all changed on December 24, 1936, when a devastating fire destroyed the facility.
After the fire, management revised the plan. A new wing was constructed parallel and alongside the original barn with a connecting structure housing a foyer and kitchen. As the club's popularity continued to rise, members requested a space to hold events, and the new wing was designed for use as a dining room and ballroom. This addition and other changes formally opened in the summer of 1937.
Over the past 85 years, Locust Hill has evolved as a club, and we continue to update our facilities to offer our members and community the very best opportunity for golf, recreation, and gathering.
Another feather in Locust Hill's cap came when the Wegman's Rochester International LPGA tour made Locust Hill "home." The club has hosted this event since 1977, when it started as "The Bankers Trust Classic." It was one of the longest-running events on the LPGA tour and was upgraded to the PGA Championship of the LPGA Tour in 2010.
Finally, no history of Locust Hill Country Club would be complete without mentioning a few of our illustrious staff members who contributed significantly to the culture and success of the club over its many years. Silk Callahan started as the very first Golf Pro in 1927. He cultivated a love of golf and respect for the game that continues at the club to this day. After WWII, Joe Lamanchia -- Silk's former assistant -- returned to Locust Hill as the Golf Pro. He continued the legacy of his predecessor and added his unique flair. Finally, Joe Diego (our beloved starter) joined his team as the assistant Pro.
Today, Locust Hill Country Club is regarded as one of the finest clubs in the Rochester area thanks to our fun, family-friendly environment, esteemed golf course, and beautiful event spaces. We would love to welcome you and your family to our inclusive membership. Learn more about making Locust Hill your home away from home here.