Locust Hill Country Club originated in the summer of 1925 by thirty of the younger and more progressive business and professional men of Rochester and members of the Rochester Gyro Club. They purchased from Frank Zornow the "Locust Hill Farm" – eighty-nine acres of farmland on the north side of Jefferson Road in Pittsford. The barn was converted into a Locker House, with a fully equipped Pro Shop, bag storage, showers, lockers, and lounge room where food was served. The farmhouse was made into a clubhouse with 40 lockers on the second floor for the lady players. The course initially featured nine excellent holes for golf.
The Club soon expanded to 225 members and in 1927 purchased 52 acres South of Jefferson Road and expanded to eighteen holes. Seymour Dunn, a well-respected architect and golf club maker from Scotland who had previously designed The Lake Placid Golf Club, was hired to complete the project. Dunn was born in Scotland in 1882, his ancestors had been golfers, club makers, greens keepers and golf course architects for more than 100 years. In fact his ancestors can be traced back to Mary Queen of Scotland and the first golf course ever built.
That same year, Silk Callahan was hired as the head Golf Pro with Harry Boyce the Head Greens Keeper and George Pappart as Club Manager.
Golfing at Locust Hill hummed along smoothly until December 24, 1936 when a clubhouse fire destroyed the facility. The bartender and caretaker, Don Keogh, who also lived in the building lost his life along with his dog. Forty women's lockers were destroyed. While the cause of the fire was undetermined, the Pittsford Fire Chief said it started around the furnace.
In 1936 plans were formulated to build a connecting link of clubrooms between the original barn known as "The Locker House" and the original clubhouse (the old farmhouse). These plans, however, were considerably altered by the destruction of the farmhouse by the Christmas Eve fire.
After the fire a revised plan was implemented. A new wing similar to the original barn was constructed parallel and along side of the original barn with a connecting structure housing a foyer and kitchen. The new wing was designed for use as a dining room and ballroom.
The lockers and showers in the old wing were moved upstairs and the first floor was converted to a grill and bar area. The new addition and other changes were formally opened in the summer of 1937.
The club built a two story building in 1967 to house the men's locker room, pro shop and golf cart storage. There was also a "service tunnel" constructed to connect the two buildings.
The front appearance of the clubhouse as it existed remained substantially the same until renovations took place in 1984.
In 1946 Joe LaMachia, the former assistant to Silk Callahan, returned from the war, and became the Head Golf Professional. Joe Diego (Yes, our beloved Starter) became his assistant.
In 1949, an irrigation system was installed to water the fairways and greens.
In 1984 the clubhouse underwent a $1 million dollar renovation that connected the main clubhouse and the locker room building with the addition of the member's dining room on the main level.
In 1989 the first tunnel under Jefferson Road was constructed to allow safe passage for the golf members from the 10th green to the 11th tee box.
A patio off the dining room was enclosed to create a separate bar area in 1991. The Clubhouse received a complete $3 million interior renovation in 1998 which included the addition of the three-story octagon "Loggia". The master plan for the Clubhouse was completed in 2006 with an addition to the Ballroom, a 2,000 square foot state-of-the-art fitness center, and exterior decks and patios overlooking the golf course.
In 2007 the second tunnel to the driving range was completed as well as the balance of the exterior stone façade. Other changes included constructing several new ponds on holes 1, 2 & 7, and expanding "The Lake Hole" on number 2. These ponds were installed to correct a drainage deficiency that had existed for years because of poor soil conditions. A new "state of the art" automated irrigation system was also installed.
Locust Hill was the home of the Wegman's Rochester International LPGA tour. Locust Hill has hosted this event since 1977 when it started as "The Bankers Trust Classic". It was one of the longest running events on the LPGA tour and was upgraded to the PGA Championship of the LPGA Tour in 2010.